Saint Anne’s Hospital announces multiple scholarship programs for health care students
Fall River, MA – Saint Anne’s Hospital invites applications for multiple scholarship programs designed to assist students who will be pursuing higher education in health care in the 2020-2021 academic year.
Please note deadlines and contact information for each program. Applications for all scholarships may be downloaded at saintanneshospital.org/for-professionals.
1) The Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff is offering three $3,000 scholarships for students pursuing higher education in health and medicine at an accredited college, university, technical school, etc. This year’s awards include:
For students in the community who are entering or pursuing a degree in nursing, allied health or other health care profession:
• The Thomas A. Krahn, MD, Scholarship
• The W. Robert Courey, MD, Scholarship
For students who are members of the greater Saint Anne’s Hospital family:
• The Lawrence F. Kron, MD, Scholarship. This award is for hospital employees, family members of employees, or members of medical staff families who are entering or pursuing a degree in nursing, allied health or other health care profession.
Application deadline: Thursday, April 30. For more information about these awards, contact the Saint Anne’s Hospital Medical Staff Office, 508-674-5600, ext. 2002.
2) The Massachusetts Rhode Island Independent Physician Association is offering the 2020 Malcolm W. MacDonald M.D., Memorial Scholarship Award, a $1,000 scholarship for a pre-med student, medical student, nursing student or individual entering or pursuing a degree in allied health or other health care profession at an accredited college, university, technical school, etc. The candidate must: 1) be able to provide documentation of special projects, such as providing care to underserved areas in need of medical/educational services; and 2) be a graduating high school senior or currently enrolled student from the Greater Fall River area, as well as Newport and Bristol counties, RI.
Application deadline: Thursday, April 30. For more information about this award, call 508-674-5600, ext. 2799.
3) The Saint Anne’s Hospital Multicultural Health Committee is offering three $1,000 scholarships for health care students who are bicultural and/or bilingual. Application deadline: Friday, May 8. For information about these scholarships, call 508-674-5600, ext. 2080.
4) The 2020 Nursing Memorial Scholarship in memory of Darcy E. Nientimp, BSN, RN. Darcy was a Saint Anne’s Hospital ICU nurse who passed away in February 2015 at the age of 26, just six months after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Funded by donations from the community, this nursing memorial scholarship was established in 2015 to honor Darcy’s memory by helping others pursue a nursing career with passion and excellence, just as she did. Registered nurses who are pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing are eligible for this year’s awards. Application deadline: Friday, March 27. For more information, email SAHMail@Steward.org.
About Saint Anne’s Hospital
Founded by the Dominican Sisters of the Presentation in 1906, Saint Anne’s Hospital in Fall River, Massachusetts, is a full-service, acute care Catholic hospital with 211 beds and satellite locations in Dartmouth, Attleboro, Swansea, New Bedford, and Stoughton, Massachusetts. A member of Steward Health Care, Saint Anne’s provides nationally recognized patient- and family-centered inpatient care and outpatient clinical services to patients from surrounding Massachusetts and Rhode Island communities. Saint Anne’s key services include the Center for Orthopedic Excellence; bariatric surgery; multiple robotic-assisted surgical capabilities, including orthopedic surgery, spine surgery, and general surgery; Saint Anne’s Hospital Regional Cancer Center; two ambulatory surgery centers; the Center for Pain Management; and inpatient geriatric psychiatry services. Saint Anne’s has continued to earn national awards and recognitions, including The Leapfrog Group’s “Straight A’s” for patient safety since 2012.