Game 10 Preview: Gatemen travel over the bridge to play the Braves
BOURNE – The Wareham Gatemen (7-2) take a short road trip today over the bridge as they play the Bourne Braves (5-4) at Doran Park in Bourne at 6:00 p.m.
The Gatemen have won two in a row including a dominant 9-0 win last night over the Hyannis Harbor Hawks. Wareham scored four runs in the first and never looked back. Of the nine Wareham runs, six of them came with two outs.
RHP Connor Lunn improved to 2-0 on the year as he was masterful on the mound. Lunn pitched five innings only allowing two hits and struck out eight Harbor Hawks.
Offensively, a duo of UCLA teammates, Ryan Kreidler and Jeremy Ydens, knocked in six runs for the Gatemen and they also combined for six of the Gatemen nine hits on the night. To read the full recap from last night, click here.
Bourne enters play today winners of three straight games. The Braves defeated the Mariners last night 4-3. 1B Spencer Brickhouse from ECU hit a 2-run homer in the third to give the Braves a lead they would never relinquish. Brickhouse drove in three runs and starter Bryan Hoeing from Louisville pitched five innings to record the win.
Today is the first matchup of the season between the Braves and the Gatemen. They two teams, both in the West Division, will meet each other five more times after today. The next time these teams square off will be on July 2 in Wareham.
Before revealing the lineups and pitching matchups, here are some fast facts for tonight’s game:
- No Gatemen hitter has recorded a hit in all nine games this season (Austin Shenton has done so in eight of nine).
- Bourne has committed a league-high 14 errors this season. Wareham has only committed seven (tied for second fewest in the league).
- Andrew Vaughn (.714) and Austin Shenton (.667) are slugging over .600. No other Gatemen hitter is even above .400. The next highest Gatemen hitter, minimum 15 at-bats, is Luke Roskam at .364, over 300 points away.
- Three Gatemen starters have ERAs of exactly 1.00 (Lunn, Matulovich, and Waldichuk).
- Wareham is 2-1 on the road this season. Bourne is 2-2 at home.
LHP Mason Feole (0-0, 0.00 ERA) makes his second and final start for the Gatemen before heading to Team USA for the rest of the summer. Feole threw four innings of no-hit ball in his first start of the season versus Cotuit on June 14. Feole struck out six in a game the Gatemen eventually won 4-2. In that outing, Feole walked no one and threw first pitch strikes to nine of the 12 hitters he faced (75 percent).
RHP Justin Lasko (0-0, 4.50 ERA) from UMass will oppose Feole today. Lasko is a rising senior and had his best season to date for the Minutemen this past spring. As a junior, Lasko posted a 2.52 ERA as he went 5-4 in 12 games. In his Cape season debut, Lasko went four innings allowing two runs in a 5-2 win over Falmouth.
Here are today’s lineups:
- Jeremy Ydens, RF - UCLA
- Isaac Collins, 2B - Creighton
- Andrew Vaughn, 1B - California
- Austin Shenton, DH – FIU
- Bryant Packard, LF - ECU
- Bryson Stott, SS – UNLV
- Ryan Kreidler, 3B - UCLA
- Drew Millas, C - Missouri State
- Skyler Hunter, CF – Purdue
SP.Mason Feole, LHP – UConn
- Chase Murray, CF – Georgia Tech
- Grae Kessinger, 2B – Mississippi
- Anthony Prato, SS – UConn
- Spencer Brickhouse, DH – ECU
- Jared Triolo, LF – Houston
- Spencer Horwitz, 1B – Radford
- Danny Oriente, RF – Louisville
- Thad Phillips, C – UConn
- Oscar Serratos, 3B – Georgia Tech
SP.Justin Lasko, RHP - UMass