Generator causes garage fire

Jul 7, 2022

A generator is to blame for a garage fire that occurred at 7 Woodcock Road Wednesday afternoon, according to Fire District 2.

Crews were called on scene at approximately 3:42 p.m. Upon arrival, District 2 firefighters found heavy smoke coming from a detached garage.

The bulk of the fire was knocked down quickly with no damage to the adjacent house, Interim Fire Chief Greg Edgcomb said. 

Investigators determined that a portable generator was responsible for setting off the blaze. According to Edgcomb, it ran inside the garage with the exhaust pipe in close proximity to the wall, which resulted in the ignition of combustible materials.

No injuries were reported during this incident. Mutual aid was also provided by Fire Districts 1 and 2.

“I would like to extend our thanks and appreciation to Dartmouth Fire District 1, Dartmouth Fire District 3 and the Dartmouth Police Department for their assistance at this incident,” Edgcomb said.