Russell Garrison granted preservation restriction
A piece of Dartmouth’s colonial history will now have additional protections.
On April 19, the Parks and Recreation Board unanimously voted to grant the Russell Garrison a preservation restriction.
The new restriction will make it so the property can no longer be altered by restricting the demolition or changing of its significant historic features.
The garrison site, located on Fort Street in Padanaram, traces back to the early 17th century. Built by John Russell, it was used as a refuge for colonists during a historic conflict — called King Philip’s War by colonists — in 1675.
According to archaeologist Holly Herbster — who has extensively researched historical accounts of the garrison — in July 1675, a group of Native Americans surrendered their weapons and sought refuge at the site. But they were later taken to Plymouth, where they were sold into slavery.
Although the structure itself is gone, the stone foundation can still be seen from the street.
In 2018, the site was added to the National Register of Historic Places.