Suspect in fatal hit and run held without bail

Mar 6, 2018

A 58-year-old man from California has been ordered held without bail pending the outcome of a dangerousness hearing in connection to the March 3 fatal hit and run on Route 6.

According to Bristol County District Attorney's Office, Natalie Vieira, formerly of Riverside, California, was located and arrested on March 6 following an extensive investigation into the incident.

Vieira had recently been residing in Westport on Highland Avenue.

Vieira is transgender, and identifies as male. He calls himself Nate or Marcos, according to the Bristol County District Attorney's Office. His legal name is Natalie.

Vieira was arraigned on charges of leaving the scene of personal injury and death, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, and driving an unregistered motor vehicle at New Bedford District Court on March 6.

At his arraignment, a dangerousness hearing was set for March 8, according to District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III's spokesperson Gregg Miliote. Vieira will be held pending the outcome of the hearing.

The hit and run crash occurred on March 3. At 6:59 p.m., Dartmouth police responded to the area of 653 State Road for reports of a pedestrian being struck by a motorist.

The victim, 33-year-old Westport resident Stasha Lynn Faria, was already deceased at the scene. She was walking eastbound along the road when she was struck from behind and killed.

According to police, the person that struck Faria had fled the scene.

On March 5, Dartmouth police released a description of a vehicle believed to be involved in the incident, and were asking the public for help in locating a gray minivan, possibly a Chevrolet Uplander, with front passenger side damage.

According to Dartmouth police, tips received based on that description led police to the involved vehicle, a 2007 Chevrolet Uplander, at an auto body shop in Fall River. The vehicle was traced back to Vieira.

Massachusetts State Police, the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office, and Dartmouth and Westport police conducted an exhaustive investigation into the incident which led to the arrest.

As the case continues, a memorial has formed at the site of the hit and run. Mounted on a telephone pole outside of the Sherwin Williams paint store on the eastbound side of Route 6, friends and family have placed photos, posters, and mementos of Faria.