Dartmouth hockey moves on, but post-game scuffle may lead to suspensions

Feb 28, 2023

What should have been a night of triumph for the Dartmouth High hockey team ended on a sour note on Monday, Feb. 27 when a fight broke out between players shortly after the Indians beat Diman Regional Voc-Tech in the first round of the Division 2 playoffs.

After the 6-4 win, Dartmouth (31) will move on to play Duxbury (2). However, the last minute skirmish may leave the team short-handed as Dartmouth team officials worried that two of their players could be disqualified for fighting.

The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association handbook states that “a two game suspension will be given to any student-athlete who is ejected from any contest for the following reasons: Fighting; Punching or kicking an opposing player; Spitting at someone.”

The handbook further asserts that “judgments of game officials are not subject to appeal.”

The coaches declined to comment officially on the matter and the Dartmouth High athletic director could not be reached for comment.

The fight appeared to break out after a Diman player skated over to the crowd of Dartmouth players as they were celebrating after the final whistle.

Even before the fight, the game was a raucous one that saw Dartmouth repeatedly penalized — forcing multiple 3-on-5 penalty kills.

Diman scored first in the contest with a goal in the first minute of the game.

But Dartmouth responded quickly, with a goal from junior forward Kai Andrade. Just over a minute later, the Indians scored again on a power-play goal from sophomore Aiden Cruz.

Diman tied the game at 2-2 shortly after, but could not retake the lead despite four consecutive Dartmouth penalties — creating two 5-on-3 power plays — to end the first period.

In the second period, it was Dartmouth that benefited from a power play, with Andrade scoring his second goal of the night.

Goals from Brady Beauparland and Cruz put the team up 5-2 before a final second period goal from Diman cut Dartmouth’s lead to two.

In the final period, Dartmouth scored again with six minutes left on the clock. But a Diman 5-on-3 led to the final goal of the game, leaving the score 6-4 Dartmouth.

Despite another tough penalty kill, Dartmouth was able to defend its lead thanks to multiple saves from goalie Ashton Machado.

Dartmouth will move on to play Duxbury (2) at The Bog hockey rink in Kingston on Thursday, March 2 at 7 p.m.