Two women arrested after fleeing police in stolen car

Aug 30, 2021

Dartmouth police arrested two women Sunday, Aug. 29 after they fled from police in a stolen car, which they abandoned in a yard on John Alden Lane before heading into nearby woods, according to Dartmouth Police Det. Kyle Costa.

At about 7:10 p.m., Dartmouth Police Officer Nicholas Mancuso conducted a Registry of Motor Vehicles query on a passing 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. 

After learning the vehicle was stolen, Mancuso and field training officer Andrew Fredette attempted to stop the car. The vehicle fled.

Not wanting to further jeopardize the safety of the general public, the officers terminated the attempted stop, and instead began to check the surrounding area for the vehicle. 

A short time later, Dartmouth Police communications received a call from a resident on John Alden Court, informing them that the vehicle had been abandoned in their yard and that the resident observed two people flee into the woods.

Several Dartmouth officers, including a K-9, responded to the area. 

As the scene was extremely fresh, Dartmouth Officer Justin Amaral, along with his K-9 partner, Gunner, were able to establish an immediate track of the suspects.

After tracking the suspects for a short period of time, Dartmouth officers located two women hiding in the woods.

The women, subsequently identified as Jamie Donovan, 34, of Ruth Street, New Bedford, and Misty Baker, 28, of Waquoit Landing Road, East Falmouth, were placed under arrest.

In addition with being charged with receiving a stolen motor vehicle, Donovan also had four outstanding warrants. 

Baker was charged with receiving a stolen motor vehicle.

A third suspect, whom police learned of later, is still at large.

The Massachusetts State Police Air Wing and members of the New Bedford Police Department also participated in the search.

“Though one suspect was able to elude capture, I’m overwhelmingly pleased with the effort put forward by my officers,’’ Police Chief Brian P. Levesque said. “All of our assets were used perfectly, and no one was injured. I would also like to thank the members of the outside agencies who participated in the search. Their timely response certainly assisted with the quick apprehension of these two individuals.”